Monday, May 04, 2009

Greetings from Beautiful Mauritius!

I am sorry that I haven't had time to update here as much as I would like. We arrived safe and soundly in Mauritius on Wednesday afternoon. We had a great flight - we flew British Airways and I can tell you, they sure kept us happy! After take off, they were always suppling us with something to drink, we even had breakfast and lunch and just about 10 minutes before we landed, they handed out ice cream!!! It was awesome!

When we arrived at the airport, we were greeted by Christian who is our host while we are in Mauritius. He works at the airport and was able to be there as soon as we got off the plane! He ushered us right into where we had to be in order to get our passport stamped. It was such a blessing!

Once we left the airport we headed over to his house, where we are staying for the next 3 weeks! He lives with his parents and younger brother. They have made us feel so at home, it's been so nice - their hospitality is amazing! We all call his parents, Mama and Dad. Mama has even made us some yummy Mauritian food for supper. For supper we all cram around the table in the kitchen, just like a normal family would!

One thing about Mauritius, it is so beautiful! We have only seen about a quarter of the island, but it is just amazing! On Friday was a public holiday, so we were able to go to the beach (it's a 45 minute bus ride from where we are staying!) - oh my word! The water is so beautiful and crystal clear! We were able to go for a boat ride and on the bottom of the boat was glass so we were able to see all the sea creatures and everything - it was so awesome!

Yesterday we went to church and did two services. I was really proud of the team, they did dramas, dances and then two of the students spoke. (one at the normal service and one at the youth service) The first service was from 9-11:30 and after that service, they fed us lunch (some sandwiches) and then we did a youth service. It was great! The team was awesome! After the youth service (there was about 20 youth there) they wanted to take us around and show us some of the island. So as a team we all went into 3 different vehicles and we drove around the island and saw some different sights and even managed to go guava picking!! It was such a wonderful time. They took us and showed us so much - the one thing that is really big here in Mauritius is hindo and so they took us and showed us of their idols and statues and stuff. So, if you can be praying against the spirit of idolism, for this country - we would appreciate it! But it was so much fun just to hang out and experience Mauritius with locals - I found out I like guavas! I took some pictures of Meghan and myself picking guavas...they are really hard to find but the locals know exactly the right place to go and find them! We ended up spending all afternoon with them and didn't get back to the house until 7pm!! It was such a blessing!

Today we have just hung around the house and prepared for our time in Reunion Island - we are heading out on Wednesday morning. We are going to a YWAM conference, called Nations2Nations - Pieter McKarthy and some others will be there and we are looking forward to it. We are in charge of decorating the hall so we have been making stuff all day.

Well it's just after 5pm here and I am going to go and help Mama with supper. Take care everyone - I will try to update again soon.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Are you going to make patty pan squash? LOL. It was good to read of all your ministries. I will be praying against the idolatry there, for sure. Be very careful with purchasing "souvenirs"!!

I loved your pics on FaceBook!

All my love,
Mum

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe.It was good talking to you this morning.I will be praying for you guys and for the people there. Have fun and remember I love you .
Dad

Listening With a Heart of Faith said...

Aren't you suppose to be "working" out there? ;) ...just teasing you! Look! I finally read your blog! I've been so behind! Sorry. HOWEVER....guess who else has a blog now???? Yup, little ol' me! And since it's with Google as well I'll be better at keeping up with yours! :) (as long as I'm good at keeping up with mine! LOL)

Love ya girl!
Miss ya tons!
Think of ya lots!
Hugs!
J.

 
Designed by Lena