Wednesday, January 20, 2010

From Heidelberg!

Hello from Heidelberg, South Africa!

It is such a joy to be able to quickly update...I don't have a lot of time. It is almost 11:30pm!!
But I just wanted to update so you all know we are still alive!

First...Sunday...after I wrote the last post! I have NEVER, EVER been so sick in my life!! I think I had food poisoning!! It was awful. I tell you, I don't wish that on my enemy! I was in bed all day!! One minute I was so hot and sweating buckets and the next minute I was freezing cold! I couldn't eat anything! (and stuff was coming out of both ends, if you know what I mean...) At one point I got so dizzy, I thought I was going to pass out! It was so bad and like I said I have never experienced anything like that. Bob was so good, I keep remember him coming in every hour or so, checking up on me and stuff like that. I am so thankful for a wonderful husband! We were a little a worried about me traveling with the team the next day, but I prayed and cried to God all day (when I was awake) that God would make it possible. Bob and the team also prayed for me. I think I was only awake for 5 minutes at a time, as I was so weak, I would no sooner wake up then I would feel so tired all over again.

Thank the Lord, Monday morning came and I started to feel better. (that is what makes me think it was food poisoning) We left Mbabane around 10am and hit the border about an hour later. We all made it through the border with no problems and continued on our way to Joburg. We finally arrived in Joburg around 3pm and were met up with people we will be staying with for the next two weeks. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, we have been able to use one of YWAM Jbay's kombi's (van) for the remaining part of outreach. As the team going to the Philippines was in Joburg last week and we spoke to leadership, they agreed and the team left the kombi here for us and we now have our own transport! An answer to prayer...so we don't have to take taxi's or anything for the remainder of the outreach!!

We dropped off one of the girls from our team at the bus station. As she had to leave outreach early to go and register for university. (which starts in a few weeks) We thought we were staying in Joburg, but actually we are in the town of Heidelberg which is 60 kms outside. We are staying with our friend Maria - who did her DTS in Jbay in 2001 and then staffed for quite a few years. Bob and I met her in 2008 when we came back to Jbay after our DTS. She was at that time doing her second part of SBS. She is such a great lady with such a great heart! The first day we were here, I overheard her and Bob "discussing" paying for food and stuff like that...she wants to bless us and Bob wants to make sure that she gets blessed!! LOL!! Two people with big hearts....oh, I love God's family!

I do have a few prayer requests. Please continue to lift our team up in prayer. Over the weekend there was a few arguments so yesterday Daan (the school leader) came, he met with us and the Holy Spirit also came. We had a time of discussion, prayer and forgiveness. I know that the enemy wanted to try and tear this team apart but I know that God has a greater plan for each member of this team! Just please keep our team in your prayers. We have about 6 weeks left of outreach and of course, some people are getting tired and ready to call it quits! Pray that we will all continue to look to God for our strength. Also, please continue to pray for the teams finances, most of the students have paid close to nothing for their outreach. I know being from Africa sometimes it is harder to get the church to support you, but we want to trust God, that He can bring in the finances!

Today, we had a team building day so we went to a mall about 45 minutes away and went to the movies. We all went to different movies....I went with Bob and one of the other guys, Ettien to see the movie Avatar - it was a very interesting movie! It was also a very LONG movie...about 2 hours and 15 minutes!! It wasn't too bad...I knew nothing about it! Anyone else seen it?? I have seen comments from people's status's on Facebook, and although it was good, it wasn't like the best movie ever!

Anyway, I really must get going, it is now closer to midnight! Just please keep our team in your prayers. I am going to try and update again soon. I also want to put some new pictures up on Facebook of our time in Swaziland, but need to get to an internet cafe soon! I am able to use this laptop but only if it is for ministry purposes, and so I figure prayer requests are ministry. So, that is why you are getting an update so late at night!

Night all and thank you for your prayers!!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

We've been praying ever since we knew you were sick - what a horrible experience! However, I am so glad that it only lasted a relatively short time.

Praying for the team as well...that the harmony would continue and that the Holy Spirit would fill them with His love and forgiveness.

I have seen the trailer for Avatar and have no desire to see it. Definitely not my type of movie. Tom and Tanya went to see it in 3D and I believe Tan said it was one of the best she has seen! So, there you go...different strokes for different folks! I'm becoming less and less of a movie-goer anyway and don't miss it... LOL

I love you and hope we can chat again soon. I'm so glad I was online in the wee hours of Sunday morning to pray and chat....

Mum

Anonymous said...

Hi KB,

I´m so sorry that you were so sick..I know how it feels to be that sick when you need to travel and go to another place..it is terrible! I´m glad that it only lasted that one day, praise the LORD for that.

It´s good to know how you guys are doing..I wasnt able to read your last newsletter because our computer is weird and for some reason wont recognize the program..maybe you can post it on FB, do you do that?? LOL I should check first before I ask you..but owell.

Love you and will be praying for your team!!

Mandy

 
Designed by Lena