I am finally getting around to blogging about this past Sunday, I know a couple people have asked about it. My camera's battery was dead, so I charged it last night and finally got the photos loaded on to my computer. Here is what I did this past Sunday...
Back in June, I met Cathy (my friend, Shelley's mother) at church. She has a heart for the native people. We got to talking and she was asking about what Bob's and my plans were, and invited me to go with her to an indian reserve about 2 hours away from Red Deer to help with their VSB. I agreed to go, and it was this past Sunday. I met Cathy and two of her friends at 9am on Sunday in Red Deer and the four of us drove out from there. We had to be there around noon, and had to stop in Rocky Mountain House to pick up another lady that was going to help out as well. We stopped about an hour out of the reserve and had a picnic lunch.
It was so awesome to be with these ladies, once we arrived on the reserve land, they just started praying for the families, the bondage that satan has put upon them, praying for their health and their spiritual freedom. They also prayed for us as we went into teach these children about Jesus. The VBS started around 1:00, when it started we had only about 12 children (ranging from ages 3 - 15), within an hour we were up to about 25 kids. The missionaries that work on the reserve used to live on the land in a house and had a church next door (pictured above). They lived there for about 10 or so years, and then some years ago, they moved away, when they came back, they found an indian family living in the house, and had taken over the church, and refused to give them back. Well, I guess after a while, the family gave them back the church, but not the house. Needless to say, the missionaries live three hours away in Three Hills, and every Sunday they drive three hours just to have church service with these people in their church. Such a ministry!! I did take some pictures of the kids, but due to their privacy, I don't think it's right to post them on here. I will however tell you that the kids were so cute, and if I could, I would have taken them all home with me.
I did so much with the kids, everything to helping them with crafts, to sitting with them during the chapel part, and also got to play a couple of games of duck, duck goose. All these children are so precious and all need Jesus in their lives. If you think of them, if you could just keep them in your prayers. On the property where the church was, they had no running water or toliets. (they just have out-houses!)
The VBS ended at around 4:00pm and we headed out at about 4:30, we stopped once again for a picnic supper. (to eat the food we didn't at lunch :-) We arrived back into Red Deer at about 7pm, they dropped me off at Jim and Shelley's (as Bob, Colin and Lhea were there having a bbq with them) and we ended up staying and visiting for a while. It was fun! Then at around 9pm, Jim decided to go on an ice cream run, so he fired up his 32 foot motor home, and away we all went!! Jim drove to Dairy Queen and by the time we got there, the store part was already closed. So, Jim decided to try and go through the drive thru!! We made it half way, and then he realized he wouldn't be able to get out, so Jim hopped out of the drivers seat and went and asked the two cars behind us if they could back up so he could back up the motor home!!! haha You should have seen their oldest daughter (who is 15) she was so embarrassed to see her Dad running out and asking people to move!!
We ended up visiting with them for another hour or so and then headed home and went to bed!
That was my Sunday, and it was an awesome day, one I will never forget!
1 comment:
Wow - thanks for the update and thanks for emailing me the photos (tee hee). They are adorable and so precious. What a ministry! You know, you think you have to cross the ocean, but people in our own back yard need Jesus too!! (But it *is* fun to cross the ocean as well - right, KB??)
Love you! Thanks for the update....
Mum
Post a Comment