Saturday, August 29, 2009

A week in Muizenberg

We got back last night, from a week of staff training in Muizenberg. (close to Capetown) It was a good week - we learnt lots, but I am so glad to be back home! We left Jbay last Friday afternoon (we were suppose to leave in the morning, but the car had a few issues that we had to have dealt with before we left!). Our first stop was Worcester. Our base leader, Pieter McKarthy was doing the worship at a youth event and he wanted us to join him. The staff training was not just Bob and I - there was also a group of 7 other guys that came down in the base kombi. We all met up in Worcester around 6pm and then the event started at around 7. It was a good youth event, the funny thing was there was a guy who was a rapper and he started doing a rap, but he only spoke in Afrikaans and the whole rap was in Afrikaans! After the youth event we headed over to the Muzienberg base. (which took us about an hour, so it was about midnight before we got arrived!) We were all so tired!!

Saturday, we went for day trip to Capetown. There was 9 of us in total. 3 of the guys that came are staffing the January school and the rest are staffing the September school. We all went to the Canal Walk Mall. It was nice just to go, walk around and window shop! We ate lunch in the food court and they had like tvs all over the place, there was also a rugby game on. So, after lunch, Bob and I went walking around while the rest of the guys stayed and watched the game!

Sunday, we all went to the AOG church, Dan gave the message and it was really good. It was a 3 hour church service! After church we all went to Edwin and Diana's house for a braai. Edwin is the base leader of YWAM Muizenberg and also one of the founders of YWAM Jbay, so we know him very well. We got to their house for lunch and seeing as I was the only female, I was able to sit and chat with Diana. I also helped her prepare lunch. While we were there Wilson showed up. Wilson is the base leader of YWAM Durban and also one of the founders of YWAM Jbay. Then...just as we were getting ready to eat lunch, Pieter showed up! It was so much fun to have all three of the founders of YWAM Jbay there! They all have been friends for so long and they know how to make us laugh! It was such a fun time! They even gave us some advice on staffing. It was a great afternoon.

Monday morning came and the one thing that was really bad was my skin!!! Ever since we arrived at the base, it started to bother me and I couldn't figure out why! Every night my skin would be so bad...my whole legs were covered in hives! As soon as I got in the room, my skin just started to itch...Bob soon discovered there was mold in our room! In case you didn't know, I am allergic to mold! Every time I walked into the whole base for that matter, my skin just got so itchy! The base is an old hotel, and there is a lot of moisture in the whole building, and so I think that is the reason for my skin being so bad! By Tuesday, Bob and I told Dan we had to find something else, my skin was just so bad! Thank goodness also that day, I ran into Diana - she asked me how I was doing. I told her the truth that I was struggling cause my skin was so bad. She managed to arrange for us, another place to stay. So for the rest of our stay, we slept at the assistant base leaders house! Needless to say, my skin got better. It was still not great as we had most of our staff training in different rooms in the base. So, I was still exposed to the mold, even though not sleeping in the room!

Staff training was very good, some of it, I had heard before. But I think it's always good to re-hear it. The people that did the training are from the National DTS training centre. It's always good to remember why we are doing DTS's and to hear the heart of the DTS. Tuesday night we caught up with a friend in Capetown for supper. She was staff on our DTS - it was so cool to see her and visit with her. Thursday night, they had a YWAM N2N (Nations 2 Nations) event. It was really awesome. The other cool thing was we found out a friend that we had met in Mauritius was going to be there! So, it was cool - we got to catch up with friends!

After the teaching on Friday, we headed home to Jbay! I had missed it so much! It ended up taking longer then normal to get home because traffic was so bad coming out of Muizenberg and there were lots of check stops on the road! I was so happy to get back to Jbay, my skin is so much better already!

Today, I haven't done much at all - I wanted to see if I could stay in my pj's all day, and I accomplished it! Here it is almost 10:00pm and I am ready for bed. Even though I didn't' do much today, I am still tired! Well there is my update - hope you all enjoyed it!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm so glad you figured out about the mold allergy and were able to rectify it!

What were the classes about?

Love you!
Mum

 
Designed by Lena